wave4 Malaysia

Asian Barometer Survey Wave 4




By Merdeka Center for Opinion Research

  • Basic information

1.1 Location

The Asian Barometer 2014 survey for Malaysia covered the entire country and the study areas were divided into two (2) principal regions- Peninsular Malaysia and East Malaysia (Sabah and Sarawak)

1.2 Population

In 2014, the current population of Malaysia in total is 30,267,367, a slight increase from 2013’s estimate of 29,791,949. Of this number, 50.7% (or 15,345,555) is the male population, and the remaining 49.3% (which is 14,921,811) is female population.

According to Department of Statistics Malaysia 2010, the population of Malaysia was 28,334,135. Of this number, 91.8% were Malaysian citizens and the remaining were non-citizens (8.2%). Malaysia consists of people of different cultures and religions. Among the Malaysian citizens, the Malays were the predominant ethnic group in Peninsular Malaysia comprises of 50.4 percent of the population, and the rest is Bumiputera, Muslim, etc., including majorities and minorities.  Moving to the population distribution, Selangor (5.46 mil) was the most populous state compared with others larger states in Malaysia, followed by Johor (3.35 mil) and Sabah (3.21 mil).

1.3 Government

The Government of Malaysia refers to the Federal Government or national government based in the federal territories of Putrajaya. Malaysia is a federation of 13 states and federal territories which operating within a constitutional monarchy under the Westminster parliamentary system.

The federal government adopts the principle of separation of powers and has three branches: executive, legislature and judiciary. The state governments in Malaysia also have their respective executive and legislative bodies. The judicial system in Malaysia is a federalised court system operating uniformly throughout the country.

Elections in Malaysia exist at two levels: federal level and state level. Federal level elections are those for membership in the Dewan Rakyat, the lower house of Parliament, while state level elections are for membership in the various State Legislative Assemblies. The third level – local election was suspended in 1964 during confrontation with Indonesia till now.

The heads of executive branch at both the federal and state levels, the Prime Minister and Menteri Besar/Chief Ministers respectively, are indirectly elected, usually filled by a member of the majority party/coalition in the respective legislatures.


Back to ABS Wave4 Survey